Monday, April 22, 2013

S: Stop


There has been too much sadness lately; and too much loss. If there is something we can do to help (and there usually is, even if it’s just a word of encouragement), we should do it. 

Here’s an idea: let’s stop. Stop saying mean things to people. Stop saying mean things about people. Step in and say something when you hear others badmouthing another human being. Do you think I’m talking about you? Maybe I am (I know that I’m also talking to myself). Please just stop and think before you do an unkind deed or say an unkind word to another person. Even if you believe they deserve your judgment. Even if you are sure that they deserve to be blackballed and shunned.

Don’t stand by and watch someone being bullied or hurt because they are different, strange, overweight, poor, or mentally ill. Do you know someone who is hard to love? That is the person who needs your love and care the most. Be that person.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of these the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Matthew 25:40

It’s hard to love people who are different from us. People who make choices we don’t understand or approve of. It’s not easy to keep praying for and offering help to someone who doesn’t seem to want to help themselves or make changes. It’s discouraging and frustrating and you will probably want to give up, but please don’t. Please don’t stop loving and caring for people. There is no greater purpose than loving the unlovable, sad, needy, helpless, mentally ill, and homeless.

Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not though away. Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray form them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Matthew 5:42-44


Please do not give up on yourself! Your life may feel bleak and hopeless, but I promise that you will not always feel this way. Do not give up hope. Keep putting one foot in front of the other, pray, and ask for help; you will be amazed at how many people care about you and are willing to help you.

7 comments:

  1. So often the Bible speaks to us on this topic.
    Hebrews 13:1-3
    1st Peter 4:8-10
    Luke 10:25-37
    Luke 6:37-38

    I find myself being guilty of this far to often. But fortunately, thru the Grace of God not as much as it use to

    Learned prejudices, social injustices to ourselves or others, are only two things that create our judgemental attitudes. Hence leading us to be reluctant to reach out.

    The Devil has many weapons to make us feel unworthy.Either by telling us not to reach out , or we are such a mess how do we feel we can reach out.

    WE are all instruments of our Lord Jesus, we just need to stop and listen.

    Blessings and peace to all today and everyday

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post Suzanne, thank you! I agree--it starts with us noticing the violence even in our words and thoughts. I started sending blessings to people every time I have a negative thought about them, instead of staying in the negative. It is good because they're getting love instead of yuckiness, plus, it makes me extra aware of what's happening in my mind. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for an inspiring post. Becoming aware of our thoughts and what we are focusing on helps - then we can do something about it. I am finding it easier and easier to catch myself early when I am going to think something negative. I am very lucky that in my professional life I work with some of the most deprived and often ignored members of society. I like to think I sometimes make a difference by showing them respect and kindness which they may not often experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see your still homely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that YOU'RE still illiterate.

      Delete
  5. Hey Jeff, I hope you are smart enough to figure out that "anonymous" isn't always the same person. Whom ever posted anonymously on this post isn't the same as the last few.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never say why you are anonymous.
    Expessing your thoughts and beliefs without a name,
    seems you are not very proud of your convictions.
    Come out of the shadows, it would give you far more credibilty.
    Or at least some credibility.

    ReplyDelete

The catchpa has been removed to enable easier commenting. Spam and irrelevant comments will be deleted.