Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I: Industrious


I’ve had some jobs that I really hated, for various reasons – mostly boredom. In every one of these jobs, I posted this on the wall above my desk:

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men
Colossians 3:23

It’s not easy to go to work when you have to do something you dislike, or work with people who are obnoxious, or sit a desk and look busy when there is not enough work to do. I am blessed to have meaningful and rewarding work to do, but not everything I do is exciting, important, or fulfilling. In fact, most of the activities that fill my days are mundane, tedious, and frustrating.

Some of the things I do that I find fulfilling are the following: reading and playing with my children; writing and teaching.

Some of the mundane things I spend most of my time doing include: cleaning, grading, and planning.

But I am a happy person, and industrious. I work hard, though I have to admit, I put more effort into the first list than the second.

We are told to work hard always, in whatever task or job we find ourselves in. I was raised in a home where my parents modeled hard work and taught us to work by enforcing chores. I am grateful for the work ethic that was instilled from my early life.

* * * * *

What is the worst job you’ve had? How did you cope? What is the most unpleasant task you have to complete in your current life?

4 comments:

  1. One of the worst ones had to be as a secretary long time ago. It was completely not for me but I insisted because I like to "finish" things and do not let them hanging around.
    I eventually found a better one and moved on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My last job I had for 25 years (self employed)loved it for 23 ,recently sold it. I don't know if unpleasant,is the correct word for me right now maybe a little scary or intimidating.
    Entering a new business venture. I pray for guidance and the ability to discern the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wrote that verse into my journal this morning. Not because I hate what I'm doing, I don't I'm self-employed. But I need to remind myself that if I cheat myself by being inefficient or distracted, I'm cheating the Lord:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the spirit of April 15th, I despise doing my income taxes. I usually get it done early but this year I really procrastinated so that is my task for tomorrow. I'd rather be reading a good novel or playing with my dogs.

    ReplyDelete

The catchpa has been removed to enable easier commenting. Spam and irrelevant comments will be deleted.