Wednesday, January 2, 2013

How a Preacher is "Called"


And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Romans 10:15

I recently had a conversation with another former FOC member, wherein the person claimed that Walter White was “pure evil.”

I never met Walter, but I immediately jumped to his defense. “No he wasn’t,” I said, “people were just so attached to him that they couldn’t let go.”

“Walter allowed himself to made into a god,” the person replied.

I don’t think it was Walter’s fault. But, then again, how would I know? I was born after his death. And I lived in a world of limbo.

If this happens (a preacher is called), then you can be saved. If it doesn’t happen, well…we don’t actually know what will become of you. But, if you don’t toe the line, you will go directly to Hell. So our options were stay and be uncertain of our eternal destiny or leave and be certainly damned. This is where the saying, “damned if I do; damned if I don’t,” really rings true.

It is because of this legacy of waiting in limbo for the miraculous calling of God to save our church that I have become so interested in how preachers are called.

* * * *

It was 2003 (or thereabouts) during church service at the Marsing, Idaho Followers of Christ when the most recent preacher was called.

It was a non-preaching service (the regular preacher was preaching at another FOC location) and members of the church were taking it in turn to stand and testify. Most of the testimonies consisted of the brethren standing and saying some version of, “I’m not worthy,” and “I need to become a better person” and, “I need to become a better servant to God.”

Just as someone sat down, Junior Porter rose out of his wheelchair and was shaking as he began speaking in prophesy. Nearly everyone was crying at the wonder of this. One of the messages Junior had was that Brother R—was called to do God’s work. R—had been having dreams/visions for several years that he would be called to preach. At the next service, Brother R—preached his first sermon. Shortly thereafter, Junior Porter died.

Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds.
2 Corinthians 12:12

2 comments:

  1. I sure would like to know if this Junior Porter is a relative of mine?? Also, what happened to; Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
    16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
    17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
    18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
    19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
    20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

    We all stand in the spotlight of whether we are in the way, or in the darkness. Our fruit that we bare will always shine out as an example of who we are, and how we stand before God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are a lot of folks in Grants Pass and the Idaho churches with relatives in Oregon City. Their church directories all look similiar (as far as last names) ...

      I'm out of the state this week, but when I get home I will post a picture of Junior.

      Delete

The catchpa has been removed to enable easier commenting. Spam and irrelevant comments will be deleted.